Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Sad Day

Longtime shortstop turned second baseman Orlando Cabrera (O-Cab) has announced his retirement after 15 years in the MLB.

He hit .272 with 123 homers and 216 stolen bases during his career and popped up to end David Cone's Perfect Game on July 18, 1999, which is still one of my favorite moments from the Dynasty. I witnessed his 2,000th career his last season against the Yankees and was truly pulling for him the entire season, partly in hopes that he would not end up retiring. He earned a World Series ring in 2004 with the Red Sox and was notorious for seemingly always ending up on the postseason despite playing on 8 different teams.

I am EXTEREMELY disappointed to see him leave, while he isn't anywhere close to being a Hall of Famer, he always led his team to the postseason and was a great leader. I will miss him and the memories he gave to me are ones that I will never forget.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpURkEHecQg Copy & Paste this URL and look around 2:47 for the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment