Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Colts place Collins on IR!

Its official.  Yesterday the Indianapolis Colts placed former Giants QB Kerry Collins on injured reserve with a concussion, ending his season and likely his career.

The 39-year-old Collins was signed to a 2 year, $14,000,000 contract in August to be Peyton Manning's backup.  After Manning was unable to begin the season, Collins was elevated to starter.

Collins as a New York Giant...good times!  Image courtesy of http://www.profootballhof.com/photos/651/2009/1/14/
I can honestly say that I am very disappointed.  As a Giants fan myself, I was looking forward to seeing Collins play this season.  This saddens me as it will almost certainly be the end for Collins and he will be cut when the season ends, especially if the Colts draft Andrew Luck and with Curtis Painter also on the roster to back up Manning.  Rest assured he will be missed and I feel strongly that he will make the Hall of Fame someday.

Lets look at some of his career stats (198 games) courtesy of NFL.com:

3,487/6,261 (completions/attempts)
55.7 completion percentage
40,922 total yards
208 TD
73.8 QB rating

Versus Peyton Manning's (208 games):

4,682/7,210 (completions/attempts)
64.9 Completion percentage
54,828 total yards
399 TD
94.9 QB rating

While there is no question that Peyton is the better quarterback of the two, maybe the best of his generation (although I am more Favre-biased), Kerry Collins has, in my opinion, flown under the radar because of the Brett Favres, Peyton Mannings, and Tom Bradys around during his time.  This is why, in my opinion, he belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.  From what I saw in him during his time with the Giants, Raiders, Titans, and (to a much-lesser extent, Colts), Kerry Collins is a Hall of Famer.

No comments:

Post a Comment